Sunday, January 3, 2021

Chinese delight???

I grew up in a home where meals were relatively traditional. Roasts, breaded pork chops, meat loaf, etc. My dad wouldn't try those "new" things. He didn't like lasagna, or pizza, or any other ethnic foods, unless they were German or Finnish. 

But there was this dish that my mom made that she called "Chinese Delight". I have no idea where it came from, and have never seen a written recipe for it. And my mom has been gone since 2006. 

This weekend I decided to figure it out. Not just for me, but so that I can share it with others, but more importantly with my children. And I did it. I should have known that it would be a relatively simple casserole. But I didn't think I would be able to get it right away!

So here it is, although I have no idea why it is called that, as it has no Chinese undertone at all. :-) 

Chinese Delight

1 lb. hamburger, browned and drained

1 can whole kernel corn, drained

14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes (with juices)

1 1/2 cups cooked white rice

1 tsp salt

1 tsp black pepper

1 sleeve butter round crackers (30 crackers)

4 tbsp melted butter 

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix browned burger, drained corn, cooked rice, tomatoes, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl. Pour into a greased 2qt casserole. Crush crackers over the top, drizzle with butter, and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes, until starting to bubble up on the sides.  




No comments:

Post a Comment