Saturday, January 18, 2014

My first Saturday morning blog!

Well, here it is, my first Saturday morning blog. Hope you have your coffee ready!

This morning has been spent prepping for the week - planning menus, and writing shopping lists. Menu planning has been my salvation - in that it allows me to provide good, real food for my family even with hectic schedules, and typically spending less money than without a plan.

The first thing I do when starting my weekly menu planning is checking the family schedule! My husband works swing shift, and my very active 16 year old has a crazy schedule which typically sends me in multiple directions for sporting events. It's important to realize what is going on in your week, and be realistic. It doesn't pay to plan big fancy meals when everyone is going to be eating at different times, or on the go!

Once I have a schedule in hand, I take stock in the freezer and pantry, to see what I have on hand. I try to keep food rotated in both. I also do freezer cooking - meals prepped and ready to go. You'll notice these on days when I will not have time to cook! When shopping, I buy what is on sale. By having a well stocked pantry, I can do that. Having to buy all of the ingredients each week for all my recipes can get expensive. Buying products when they are on sale allows me to stay ahead of the game and save money!

The next step is choosing some fun recipes! I don't do new recipes every day! I try to do some of our favorites, adding new ones in to change it up. I found that doing too many new recipes tends to stress my boys out. They need their days of pork chops, spaghetti, and meatloaf too! I often ask the guys what they are in the mood for too, and fit those in. I also try to make things that will either provide leftovers for everyone's lunches, or be used in other recipes later in the week. We have busy schedules, and I need to use my time as wisely as possible. It's all about easy!


With recipes picked, and planned leftovers in the mix, I will make up my grocery list and head to town. I will buy what is missing for the week, as well as the good deals on sale to keep that pantry and freezer stocked! I will be set once I get home from the store to be prepared for the week, ready to provide for my family!

Here is an example - my week's menus!


Sunday
Breakfast             baked oatmeal
Lunch                  spaghetti/salad/garlic breadsticks
Dinner                  leftovers from the week
Monday              
Breakfast             cereal
Dinner                  crockpot chili
Tuesday (away for sports)
Breakfast             steel cut oats (overnight crock pot)
Dinner                  Nachos with leftover chili
Wednesday
Breakfast             egg bake
Dinner                  Creamy ranch chicken over noodles/steamed veggies
Thursday (I work)
Breakfast             cereal
Dinner                  Freezer crock pot meal
Friday (home game)
Breakfast             burritos
Dinner                  Grilled chicken salads
Saturday             
Breakfast             Overnight French toast bake
Lunch                    Snowboarding – take snacks, eat lunch there!
Dinner                  Freezer crock pot meal


You notice - a lot of my breakfasts are overnight prep - egg bakes, crock pot, etc. And we don't have big breakfast every day - many are cereal! You'll see some planned leftover use. The rest of the leftovers are just used for lunches. Again, the idea here is that you do what works for YOUR family, and YOU. It's designed to relieve some stress - and help you! I hope this was helpful!

Now go get another cup of coffee! Time for us to head to the store. Happy Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment