Saturday, March 22, 2014

Italian style cabbage rolls - deconstructed!

Hope you all have your coffee in hand! Time for another round of Saturday morning coffee with Missy! I've been gone for awhile - a long vacation, and then a family issue, but I'm back, and cooking in the kitchen!

I saw a post floating around  for a cabbage roll dish - in a pot on the stove. Knowing I had a half a cabbage left in the fridge from St. Patrick's Day's corned beef and cabbage, I thought I'd put my own twist on it.

I started by browning up some amazing local ground beef with onion and garlic. Once browned, I added in Italian diced tomatoes, some chopped cabbage, and some cooked orzo (I always have some cooked grains in the fridge for easy meals - orzo went well with the Italian twist on the dish!). I added some salt, and seasonings, and had a wonderful dinner for this cold spring day in Wisconsin. Paired with fresh Italian bread from the oven, I think my husband will enjoy dinner tonight!


Italian Style Cabbage Rolls - Deconstructed!
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 lb. ground beef
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
28 oz. can Diced Italian Tomatoes
1 cup cooked orzo
1/2 medium head of cabbage, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried Italian sesasoning


In a large deep saute pan, or a large sauce pan, brown meat with onion and garlic until meat is browned and vegetables are softened. Add canned tomatoes and juice, cooked orzo, salt, Italian seasoning, and chopped cabbage. Cover and simmer untlil cabbage is soft, about 20-30 minutes.

The beauty of this dish - you could use pork sausage instead of ground beef, 
cooked rice instead of orzo... It's an easy dish to modify, to make to your family's tastes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment