Friday, February 21, 2014

Freezer cooking for my niece!

I have been doing freezer cooking as part of my menu planning for many years. And about a year ago, I introduced it to a friend, with whom I've cooked many months' freezer meals. Over the last few years, I've amassed some favorite recipes, and tips of the trade. So when I was asked by a niece to cook up some freezer meals for her, I jumped at the chance. I love the challenge of keeping cost low, ingredients fresh, and convenience high!

I compiled a "menu" of items that included noodle sides (for one of her children), some crock pot meals, some fully cooked meals, and some frozen cookie dough for sweets. I didn't have to make it all in one day, so I grouped them according to products, and all totalled, only spent around 4 hours from start to finish!

The main dishes include beef (5), pork (1), and chicken (4). Crock pot meals (4) and fully cooked (6). Ten main dishes (one being soup), and three sides, as well as some frozen cookie dough.
Spaghetti Pie
Calzones
Chicken Tortilla soup
Salisbury Meatballs
Plain meatballs
Garlic Herb Pork Roast
Honey Garlic Chicken
Sesame Chicken
Beef Burgundy
Chicken Marsala
Spicy Thai noodles
Spicy Garlic noodles
Parsley Parmesan noodles
Chocolate Chip Oatmeal cookie dough


The day of prep, I assemble all the ingredients needed.


 I label all of the containers with name, and cooking instructions. When I do freezer cooking for myself, I don't use disposable pans, but rather reusable metal pans that I've purchased just for this use. But being this cooking was for my niece, I had to go disposable.


After everything is pulled, labeled, and ready, it's prep time. Crock pot dishes are loaded into ziplocs:
Recipes that are fully cooked are prepared, cooked, cooled, and frozen. I love making my own meatballs, as I know what is in them, and can control salt content. I have a base recipe, as well as an Italian recipe.I will share the recipes soon!
Not to bore you with thirty pictures of the prep, I will stop here. I was able to produce all of these meals for approximately $175.00 (my estimate before actually adding up receipts). And in only 4 hours. Had I been doing these for myself, it would have been even cheaper. I wouldn't have had an expense in disposable pans, and I would not have had to buy beef at the grocery store (sticker shock at the expense!), much more expensive than when I am using the beef from our freezer (we buy an entire half, saving approximately 20% from grocery store prices!) But even at these prices, 10 main dishes, 3 sides, and 3 boxes of cookies - for a family of 5 - for $175.00. Not a bad price! Hopefully my niece will be happy as well!

I will put together a budget freezer cooking month soon as well. I am picking up our beef this weekend, so I've been trying to clean out the freezer. Soon I will need to restock it!

Happy weekend. Enjoy your day. Grab another cup of coffee!
Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Wow ! And i would have loved to see more pics, you couldnt bore me, im a visual learner. :) thanks so much for posting ! Looking forward to the meatball recipe !
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will do more pix when I do my budget cooking freezer entry!!!!

    ReplyDelete